ADVERTISEMENT

OT - KSU Orientation & Enrollment update

Doug142

On full scholarship
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2005
Overland Park
My daughter enrolled as a freshman yesterday and here are some thoughts and scoop I got yesterday.

The enrollment system is up and running. They were very worried about it being ready after the fire.

The orientation was very well done and a good welcome for new students.

It was a large group and there seems to be some optimism that enrollment May stabilize this year. We will find out.

In regards to the cost of school - it's complicated. The amount of services offered to help a student be successful in general and especially as a freshman are exponentially more than when I started 30 years ago. That has to increase costs but it is probably a justifiable cost. On the other hand, IMHO there were too many department head or higher positions created for all of these. Some consolidation at the top would be good. Also, housing is ridiculous. I'm a bit frustrated with KSU that almost all of the dorms now are some kind of semi private, higher end living that costs way more than an apartment or a Greek House. To be fair, it seems like too many people aren't willing to sacrifice. Kids are borrowing at an alarming rate yet the one type of dorm that can't fill is the handful of traditional dorms left.

Lastly, I spoke with a friend I worked with on campus back in the dark ages. He told me that high ranking officials at KSU are aware of the impact of the RCPD being so vigilant about Aggieville. The concern is the increased risk of sexual assault and DUI with private house parties.

Also, the university thinks that Aggieville needs it's first facelift in 30 years and is also trying to get the city to do something on that front.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News