ADVERTISEMENT

(Poll) Has Twitter been a net positive or net negative for the world?

Do you regularly (1+ time per week) use Twitter? If so, do you think it has helped or hurt society?

• Non-User - I think it's been a net negative for society

Votes: 192 48.5%
  • Non-User - I either have no idea what the hell a Tweet is, or I think it's irrelevant to society

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Non-User - I think it's been a net positive for society

• User - Self-loather here; I use it, but I think it's ultimately not a good thing

Votes: 159 40.2%
  • User - Society has other things to worry about; mind ya own business

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • User - Twitter has been a net positive

Votes: 28 7.1%
  • The Internet's a series of tubes!

• Total voters

UUDDLRLRBAStart

Almost on scholarship
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2018
This McNeil tweet has me thinking...

In your opinion, has Twitter provided a benefit to society, or has it been a detriment?

At it's best, Twitter gives a voice to the voiceless, democratizes news and provides the sort of short, pithy stories that major media just can't. Things like the Arab Spring may have never happened without Twitter.

At it's worst, Twitter is an echo chamber for bullies, bigots and trolls, the new home of Cancel Culture and intimidation. It started the Arab Spring, but also served as a tool for looters and rioters. It truly brings out unimaginably dark parts of society and exposes them to the world.

At it's middleist (I'm using that phrase, screw it!) it is, as Ricky Gervais said, "the Internet's toilet wall". You might catch some good news, or you might see the most racist sh!t you've ever come across.

So, thoughts?

I'd say Twitter started out innocuous and interesting, but has since turned into a garbage heap where entrenched opinions go to get shouted out in full Caps Lock. Nobody changes minds, but they do bully, threaten and shout down. It's the home of modern mob rule, and an absolute nightmare for anyone trying to outgrow bad opinions they might have once had.

Though I will say, @KuBoobs was a marvel back in the day...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News