ADVERTISEMENT

Royals Spring training

Dazzler

All-Big 12 performer
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2002
You have probably noticed an absence of comments from me about this subject. To be perfectly honest this year`s spring training has been so completely different from past training times it is difficult to get an objective take on these Royals.
Let us begin with mgt., the idea seems to be to let the players play when they want to without extending any of the regulars. Only Merrifield and Fuentes played almost daily. Mondesi as well logged about half of the innings. Some of the guys appear to be in mid season form, especially Moose and Cain. Gordon appears to be lagging a bit. We can only hope this approach works. The feel is pretty laid back, and MGT. and players must believe they can turn on the switch when they feel like it.
Pitching is a little different, as they work on a schedule. My opinion is that we are very weak in starters who might go 5 innings, keeping us in the game. Ned and Dayton maintain that the bullpen is better than last year. Don`t know if I believe that. Herrera has been hit a little bit and so has Soria and Hoch. Davis remains steady.
Some of the new guys are not power arms so that will be a little different as well. Huff is an upgrade over Franklin Morales.
Back to the hitters, Fuentes is an offensive upgrade over Rios and Orlando is acceptable although he isn`t a cf at this point. Merrifield is really a Ben Zobrist replacement and Colon has started slowly and remains to be watched. Infante seems to be coming on offensively. Dale Sveum thinks he has him corrected. I hope I have just seen the negative aspects, but, my fear is that they will get off to a slow start and be trying to catch up all year. Another factor, the Royals were 2nd in the league in 2 out base hits last year. This might be hard to duplicate this year.
The Royals seem to have good depth both in players and pitchers in the minors. Also on Friday we will see if Dayton and Ned like merrifield and Fuentes as much as I do and add them to the opening day roster. What do you guys think?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News