ADVERTISEMENT

Running Back By Committee

mobcat

All-American performer
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
That is what we saw against South Dakota and judging by how the players were used that is what I expect going forward.

The first team ran 53 plays on Saturday (not counting the series to kill the clock before half) and we had five different players line up at "tailback" with the first string: Jones, Dimel, Silmon, Warmack, and Gronk.

Jones saw action on 19 snaps (36%). 7 pass attempts (37%), 9 carries by him (47%), and 3 carries by the QB (16%). We used a considerable amount of zone read while he was in the game. He did not see any snaps at Wildcat. We only had a FB in for about 20% of his plays - preferring instead to spread out the defense. 5.1 yards per snap.

Dimel started the game and saw action on 14 snaps (26%). Only one of which was a pass. Of the remaining plays he ran it on 7 and the QB ran it on 6. The QB runs were usually power/wildcat type of carries but he did have a couple of zone read plays. Most of his carries were power runs with Gronk also in the game to block. Gronk was also in the game for 71% of Dimel's snaps. 4.4 yards per snap

Silmon saw action on 11 snaps (21%). The offense looked quite different when Silmon was in the game. The QB run game was gone (no qb carries on Silmon's plays and no zone read) and we ran more traditional running plays - mainly sweeps and counters. The o-line play was also different with much more pulling. Fullbacks were only used on 27% of his snaps. We threw the ball on 4 of Silmon's 11 snaps. 10.7 yards per snap (he was in for the 43 yard pass play to Heath which skews the number up - but even without that play we were at 7.5 ypp.)

Warmack saw action on 6 snaps (11%). We attempted a pass on all 6 of his snaps. It looks like the goal is to get him out of the backfield and into space. 5 yards per snap.

Gronk was set back deep on 3 snaps (6%). He was used pretty much as a straight ahead power runner with Dimel in front of him. We did run the QB once with him back deep. 5 yards per snap.

I thought some of you might find this interesting. I logged the plays while rewatching the game on Labor Day and since I had the data I though I would share.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News