ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Rose predicts Kansas State will see even more deep cuts

HelmCat

Almost on scholarship
May 21, 2003
In yesterday's KC Star. Steve is a Republican columnist for the KC Star who actually endorsed Brownback. He lays out the reasons why higher education is set to be slashed even further. I think this situation in Kansas has gone past the typical political banter - Kansas State is in serious trouble. Some may scoff, but we might look back one day and find this time in history was the beginning of the end of Kansas State as a major academic and athletic institution. While certainly not the most important factor, the academic profile of a school will be considered in the next round of conference realignment - especially to a conference such as the B1G or Pac 10. While I think the B12 survives, no one knows. Kansas State's academic profile is likely to deteriorate in the coming years as a result of this continuing disinvestment. While I don't have first hand knowledge, I have heard rumors that K-State and KU are starting to see a notable spike in faculty attrition as some of the most talented professors and instructors leave the state. Not sure if anyone on campus reading this can confirm this? I think we all know it was at least a factor for Kirk Shulz. Yes, I realize some may think this belongs in the World Forum but I strongly disagree. Academics and Athletics can intersect - and they may when the current GOR expires. I would urge everyone who is a Kansas resident on this board to get involved with the political process and fight further funding cuts. KSU's inflation adjusted state funding has already been cut by a third in the past 15 years - when will enough be enough to all the enemies of higher education in Kansas?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News