ADVERTISEMENT

The Hangover: Oklahoma State (LONG)

EsquireKSU08

On the depth chart
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2009
Missed the last edition with Louisiana Tech as I was preparing for my honeymoon, but I do enjoy the feedback this provides so let's keep it going. No shortage of opinions after yesterday I'd assume and I surprisingly find myself with a lot to say.

OFFENSE
  • Per usual, there's no other place to start than at quarterback. It's well documented that I'm not the biggest fan of Joe Hubener, but initially I had my fingers crossed going into this game that he'd be able to perform and above all else - stay healthy. We'd heard some rumblings late in the week (I think Fitz even made a post about it prior to kickoff) that Jonathan Banks was ill (mono from what I'd heard) and may not travel, so K-State needed Hubener more than ever... or so I thought.
  • First off, I'm shocked that Tre Flowers, ironically enough a former K-State recruit, was allowed to continue playing after his hit on Hubener. Joe was completely defenseless and gave himself up by sliding feet first well before Flowers was in motion to deliver the hit. I'm no rules expert, but it sure seemed like a dirty play to me but we shouldn't be surprised after the recent history of Oklahoma State against K-State. They're easily one of the most physical teams in the conference, sometimes to a questionable degree in my opinion.
  • Now to Kody Cook. I said this yesterday and I'll say it again - with all due respect to Hubener, this offense is miles better with Cook. Now, that sucks because you lose arguably your best receiver in the process, but it's a move that needs to be made assuming Cook can get back to full strength because the balance he brought with the pass and run was monumental for this offense. Something else that caught my attention but can't be seen on the field as a spectator is what I've been told over the last 24 hours or so by more than one source. First off, the staff has had confidence in Cook's ability at the position for a while. In fact, in 2013, I was told that he was much closer to being Jake Waters backup over Daniel Sams than many believed - myself included. Within that, he's the type of QB players rally around and enjoy playing with. It's been relayed to me that the same can't be said universally in regards to Hubener, whose emotions ride up and down with the flow of the game maybe more than they should and I'll leave it at that. One other note from one of my sources and you can take it or leave it: For those who would've liked to have seen Banks (something I would've welcomed too honestly, just to see what he's got) I'm told based on the snaps Cook took in practice last week, Banks would likely fall behind him in the pecking order had he been a regular, everyday QB. Just the opinion of one, but still.
  • Much has been made about the play calling during the second half yesterday, something I guess I didn't have as big of a problem with. Oklahoma State has one of the best front four's in all of college football and they quickly figured out the running game after some early miscues. In fact, nearly half of K-State's rushing totals came in the first quarter and most of those were on the first drive or two which are typically scripted long before kickoff. It may have felt like K-State abandoned the run, but in reality they didn't. In both the 3rd and 4th quarters, K-State rushed a total of 18 times and passed just 12. The fact is that nothing was working. Once Dominique Heath went down, and honestly even a little before, Oklahoma State began loading the box with up to 6 or 7 players. You aren't running through that. There were times K-State had to pass, but there simply wasn't anyone left to throw to (i.e. Steven West getting playing time). I don't know - for me, this is only an issue because K-State lost. Win and we wouldn't be so critical of play calls.
  • Ahhh, the offensive line. Where to begin, where to begin. Initially, it's good to have Boston Stiverson back and we saw the affects of that early on, but it became evident down the stretch that he's just not back in "game shape" yet as he and many others were gassed. He played fairly well though and I'd even throw Dalton Risner in there as well, considering this was his first Big 12 roadie. Cody Whitehair was beaten more than I've ever seen in his career, but I don't think that was a product of him playing poorly as much as it was the freaks he had to line up against every down. So I guess I'd grade out the left side of the line as average. The right side on the other hand was miserable. I've been critical of Matt Kleinsorge in the past and yesterday changed nothing. To be blunt, the only reason I think he's starting on this team is because K-State has no other option there. The backup is Terrale Johnson but he's had to spell Luke Hayes far too often because Hayes can't get things figured out and even then I wouldn't call Johnson a master of his craft either. Aaron Bennett isn't good and AJ Allen is apparently worse. I'm not sure how to fix this other than steady coaching from Charlie Dickey (whom I have great faith in) and continued patience by fans (myself included). These guys are what they are and, in good news, they won't face a front four like that again. TCU is solid, Baylor has Billings and Oakman, but across the board I don't think anyone puts consistent pressure on QBs like Oklahoma State does. The only thing I can think of that might help would be adding a blocker to the right side - TE or FB formations to cover a defender who gets through. But does that give away schemes? I don't know.
  • The wide receivers were pretty mediocre. They have been all year. I really thought Heath was about to step up and become the guy yesterday before his injury and that's too bad because he has the potential to become something for this offense. I'm losing hope with Deante Burton. We've been hearing about his potential for over two years now and I'm still waiting. There's just not enough breakaway speed for him to separate from the top corners in this league I'm afraid. Hey, I'd still take him over Jerrel Morrow though. Good to see Andre Davis get more action. He's wildly inconsistent, but he does provide a deep threat so he's worth the gamble because one of these days he'll haul a big TD in.
  • Almost forgot running backs. How about that catch from Charles Jones?! Ok, now to Justin Silmon. Haha. Seriously though, I do wish we could see more passes like that to the backs. I think Dalvin Warmack has that potential as well and it's an added wrinkle defenses have to prepare for. Silmon was Silmon - a workhorse. Love him. Just wish he could've had more holes in the second.

***Continued on next post***

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News