ADVERTISEMENT

The Snyder story is following the identical precedent to Bowden's end at FSU

Railcat

On the depth chart
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2003
Kansas City
It is amazing how similar the career trajectory of these two legendary coaches are.
Bowden took over a program with no history or tradition in 1976 and turned them into a national power within 4 years.
He coached for 30 years at that program, and certainly wore out his welcome towards the end. He was 80 years old when forced out at FSU. His last 4 years ACC record:
3-5
4-4
5-3
4-4
He was forced out in 2009, although FSU called it a "retirement".

"Fired might be a little too strong," the former Florida State coach said Tuesday in an interview with The Associated Press. "Pushed out ain't bad. I was pushed out, no doubt about it. I didn't want but one more year. Gosh, I'm 80."

The coach doesn't act bitter, but he wants to make sure the record is straight.

"I didn't want them to spread the story that I voluntarily, happily resigned," said Bowden.

Bowden said Wetherell presented him with two alternatives.

"Number one, you can stay as ambassador coach. I don't think I've ever heard of an ambassador coach in my life. I said, 'Well, what is an ambassador coach?'

"He said, 'Well, you can remain the head coach but you can't coach out on the field.' Now how can I be the head coach of this team if I can't go out on the field? So I said, 'Well that's out.'

"So I said, 'What's the next alternative?' The next alternative, we ain't going to renew your contract," Bowden said with a big laugh. "Does that sound like I resigned?"

Reactions: pubcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News