ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Thoughts and opinions after Cats @ Tech

G

Grant Flanders

OFFENSE FINE, DEFENSE STILL NEEDS TIME
K-State gave a great Texas Tech defense the most points in regulation this season. That 71 still wasn't enough though. But, the offense looked solid especially from the freshman.

The defense played well in the first half only allowing a few wide open perimeter attempts closing out better and showing good energy. In the second half the defense fell apart, got lazy, and fouled non stop.

Defense will remain a setback this year and be a cause for many of the losses, but eventually I think the defense will come together. Might not be this season though.

However, I do see the offense winning K-State some hard fought games. They may find a way to blow out Iowa State in their second matchup next week in Manhattan. They’re still a few adjustments and players getting healthy away from K-State living up to their max potential for this season.

FRESHMAN TAKEOVER
Against Tech, Nijel Pack and Selton Miguel both poured in 17 points. Pack scored 15 in the first half.

Pack’s ability to make shots from both the catch and shoot position and off the dribble makes him a threat at all times on offense. His floater game has been improving too.

Selton is an aggressive player who loves to score but keeps his teammates in mind. He has made some nice reads when driving as well as at the perimeter.

Miguel needs to take better care of the ball, shoot more consistently and rebound better.

Both him and Nijel have work to do on the defensive end still, but I think they will be fine on that end in the future. Pack will always have his troubles because of his size, but his fundamentals are already coming along.

Davion Bradford has continued to flash and if he can cut down on the fouls it will help this team tremendously.

Getting Kaosi Ezeagu back from injury in the next two weeks will take some pressure off him, but the fact is Bradford is a difference maker on offense and he is serviceable enough on defense right now.

Carlton Linguard has shown some promise on offense but his defense is at the moment. Seryee Lewis seems like he could be a fine player but he has the same problems as Linguard on defense.

BACK ON TRACK
Besides the Fort Hays State loss, this season is going about as I would have expected to begin the year. They have played tough and this team has shown flashes and stayed competitive against Tech and TCU.

Of course before that they were able to handle Iowa State on the road and then got crushed by Baylor. Baylor to me is the best team in the country and they will likely blow out the Wildcats in the second matchup in Waco. K-State could build a lot of confidence just playing competitive in that game at the end of the month.

TIME FOR NEW ‘GO TO’ GUY
The coaches know better than me, but in my opinion it is time for Mike McGuirl to pass the baton to Nijel Pack as the ‘go to’ guy.

McGuirl has given his best effort in trying to get the buckets needed late in the game but he has struggled to convert in those clutch moments. Three more makes each in his last two games would have changed the complexion of both, likely beating TCU at home and giving Tech a real scare

I don't know if Pack is really ready to knock down those shots or make the right decisions late in games, but it is time to give him the ball in those moments and let him either try to score or make a read.

Let McGuirl play off the ball when the game is on the line. That gives Pack the early experience of what it is like to have the ball in his hands late in games that matter. And if they really want to keep Pack off the ball, then let Miguel try handling the ball more.

Ideally if DaJuan Gordon handled the ball better he would be a good option to attack the glass and find open guys on the perimeter.

McGuirl, I think, has shown flashes at the point but would be better suited off of the ball. And maybe that could give him some more energy to play better defense.

LOOKING AHEAD
It will be interesting to see if K-State continues to improve and if the freshman avoid hitting a wall. If the freshman can keep up their good play and add in players off of injury like Luke Kasubke, Kaosi Ezeagu, and Antonio Gordon, I forsee this team pulling off a big upset or two in the league.

The defense will always be an issue this year although getting Ezeagu back will help, but I believe in this K-State offense. Just might take shaking a few more things up. I think playing small is the right call, now will someone other than McGuirl try to step up and take the most shots.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News