ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Update

EsquireKSU08

On the depth chart
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2009
Back in the states from a nice vacation and things continue to roll along for 2017 recruiting. Here's the latest...

• Last weekend's visits went quite well, focusing mainly on the two non-committed targets who were in town: Danny Walker and Daniel Green. Walker ended up committing to K-State, though I haven't been able to track him down and here how or why (he's pretty quiet). Walker will likely come in as an outside linebacker, but I'm told it's not completely out of the realm of possibility to see how he fares as a strong safety. As for Green, sounds like he enjoyed everything. He's going to be very difficult to reach but I'm going to keep trying. One person close to Vanier told me he might be the most physically impressive athlete K-State has had come through the doors on a visit since Arthur Brown -- just an absolute freak and much bigger than Arthur was too (something I know Crabby alluded to at an event in a separate recruiting thread).

• Looking ahead, there's plenty of shuffling going on with players and visits...

--> We know for sure there will be at least three official guests this weekend in Manhattan. Antonio Oliver and Caleb Sampson were both known beforehand but there will also be an unknown (at least until now) and that is Isaiah Stewart. Stewart is a safety from DeSoto High in DeSoto, Tex., widely regarded as one of the state's and nation's top programs on a year to year basis (some of you might remember it as the alma mater of former Wildcat Bryce English). Stewart has been committed to Nevada but quickly came to the attention of K-State's staff after the Wolfpack had a coaching change. Being a one-time Nevada commitment, there's also another link here and that's Danny Walker, who himself was once committed there. I've heard those two have also been talking and there's serious consideration on his part to flip if his visit goes well this weekend. Looking at his film, he seems to play much bigger and faster than he's listed so this could be a nice late-get for K-State if it happens.

---> Now, I know some of you are wondering why I didn't mention BJ Blunt and Tancey Richardson as guests. Well, some things may be changing with those two. Sounds like there may be some academic flags with both. In the case of Blunt, those hurdles might be too steep for K-State to even want to try and deal with so don't be surprised to see him fall off the radar. For Richardson, he still may visit this weekend but I'm told it will be a major task to get him qualified and it's more likely he heads to junior college. Question then becomes whether K-State takes him and places him somewhere or if they let him go and attempt to re-recruit him down the road (something they might have to do even if they place him).

• The need for defensive backs continues to be the primary concern to close this class, but options there have quickly slimmed. Amik Robertson continues to hang around though (which shocks me) and I'm told K-State is going to give it one more go at Sam Barnes too so we'll see what happens with both of them (my guess is neither end up in Manhattan). I know Crabby alluded to the possibility of Avery Showell still visiting this weekend too as another option, but since he committed to Georgia Tech nothing has been said in regards to his recruitment so I'm not sure. Even Claudin Cherelus, another potential back-up plan, shut it down over the weekend, committing to UMass. Yesterday, Gates mentioned Quian Williams as another cornerback target to keep an eye on down the stretch and I'll add one more, Obinna "Matt" Udoye - though I'm going to be honest in adding that I don't know how realistic either are as we sit here today given there are other players with offers still left on the board.

• Two quick points on receivers. First, I've now received separate messages from different insiders who have been absolutely raving about Carlos Strickland. Sounds like this kid is going to be an absolute stud opposite of Pringle. Hate to say it, but we may wind up having more hype surrounding him entering next year than Pringle did entering last year so get ready. On to Chabastin Taylor, he's pretty much the only "worry" of the commits right now given the offer from Baylor and supposedly some sniffing around by TCU too. I say "worry" with quotations because the staff doesn't seem to be overly concerned. He's been reiterating his commitment to K-State and is extremely intrigued at the opportunity to have the ball in his hands as not only a receiver but Wildcat QB at K-State (something he ran very well in high school). Still time for that to change, but I'm hearing he's more safe than originally thought.

• At this point, K-State is squarely down to three serious interests: Evan Fields, Elijah Walker, and Daniel Green. Those are the top priorities where the staff is focusing the most attention and I think everything they can snag after that is gravy (though, as I said above, a quality corner would also hold value). Fields is currently down at an all-star game in Florida and a source from his Midwest High program tells me his recruitment has become a strong stressor; he's ready for it to be done. He, his mom, and his coach are set to sit down when he returns home to go over all options in-depth because Evan is still so torn. When I asked my source how big a factor location will play in his signing, considering that's arguably the biggest advantage K-State holds on the remaining favorites, I was told "It's important but won't be the only factor". Fields announces his choice on Monday January 30th at 10:30 a.m. When it comes to Walker, I'll admit that I counted him out a while ago. He told me he was done to TCU, the staff had moved on to other options, his Cerritos staff was under the belief he was a Frog too. Then the break came, no commitment was given, and his old friend DJ Reed returned home to California for a few weeks. Now all of a sudden, K-State is clearly back in play and might very well regain his commitment. It's been a wild ride for sure and I for one will be happy when that headache ends.

UPDATE: Arizona State just landed a commitment from Army All-American and fellow high school safety KJ Jarrell. Have to wonder now how that impacts the Sun Devils with Evan Fields. Will they pursue him as hard? Will he consider them as hard as others?
Hang tight on some additional written updates on the front page. I'm doing what I can to touch base with as many of these "options" as possible. I don't see this being a dramatic Signing Day filled with surprises, but the beginning of next week will certainly be eventful.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News