ADVERTISEMENT

What makes a Sport?

KSUDirtyBird

On full scholarship
Nov 9, 2001
A continuation/diversion from the toughest position in sports poll: How do you (you personally, not the royal we) determine what makes an activity a "sport"?

In my eyes, for it to be a sport (and not just a game or activity) there has to be several factors.

1) I absolutely MUST have objective scoring. No judges scoring. The ball goes in the hoop, ball ro puck into the goal, the batter touches the base, fastest using a timer, longest distance, etc.

It must then also have at least 2 (maybe just one? - thoughts?) of the following:

a) Involves running, jumping and/or throwing.
b) Defense being played - direct competition with other humans.
c) Physical contact with other players

Some others I'm not thinking about right now.

The way I figure, this means that gymnastics and figure skating and cheer-leading competitions are out right away. So are golf, darts, pool, etc. This is not to say that the people competing in gymnastics, skating, etc are not athletes, they definitely are, but let's not call what they do a "sport".

I am torn about track and field, especially the throwing events in T&F, but in the end I do feel they are athletes, and it is a high level activity, but that does not make it a sport. I am inclined to state that a decathlon is a sport in itself (running, jumping and throwing events) but that individual events are not. But that does the aspect of not playing defense or really touching other competitors during the competition.

What does everyone else think? You probably agree with me, if that's the case, just click like and we're cool.

Thank you, that is all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News