ADVERTISEMENT

WR Recruiting

ccox

All-American performer
Gold Member
Jun 15, 2001
The 'Ville
With Davion Curtis committing to UGa, and our recent discussion of WRs in another thread, I decided to go back and re-watch film of DJ Render and Corey Sutton.

I'm still where I was before with Sutton. I see him struggling to separate against B12 corners, or even to find space. If highlights are any indication, he seems to have great hands, making a lot of tough catches. But he is neither fast nor quick by high-major standards. He does show some blocking ability. He is tough, uses his body well, and can catch it in traffic. He has some skill. But he's not going to be a dynamic playmaker, or make things happen in space. His hands and size, and possibly blocking skill are his key assets, right now, IMO.

Though he is rated lower, IMO Render is the prospect with higher upside. He's quicker, probably faster (Sutton is a bit of a long strider, and may have decent straight-line speed, after he gets going). He works better in space, but still has decent size. He's got a nice athletic foundation to build on. With commitment and the good coaching he'll get, he could emerge and easily outplay his ranking.

All that said, I still think we need more, and will need it before either of these two are ready to contribute, IMO. For 2016, we are looking at Burton, Heath, maybe Stephen West, and then some RS FR (Denzel Goolsby is a hard guy to bet against, but that's still a lot to ask of a guy that young.

We need at least one, maybe two field-ready JC WRs in this class, IMO.

Reactions: HardHatCat_V
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News