ADVERTISEMENT

Zone offense vs KU

ksu_FAN

All-American performer
Nov 21, 2017
I went back and watched the first 25 possessions of our zone offense vs KU; 10 in the first half and then 15 in the 2nd until KU went up 14 with around 3 minutes left. After that the game was pretty much over.

First, our zone offense isn't what I'd call stagnant. We actually move quite a bit with the concept of constant flashing of a guard/wing from the weak side to the high post/mid lane area. When a big is in (Mawien/Stockard) its basically a 4 around 1 look with the big working block to block to mid lane while the guards rotate. With no big (I'm not counting Wade) its 5 out, but one guard sticks in the corner with a similar guard rotation. We also ran 4-5 different actions/sets with screens at various spots on the floor. After going back, it didn't look like we had no idea what to do. However, I do think it goes back to some of the issues in the Tulsa game. a) Our guys are coached to shoot it and none are afraid to take the shot so we shot it (and missed). b) When we did penetrate, we missed several nice looks and had 2 charges.

1st half; we played 10 possessions against zone and scored 2 points. (ouch)
0-10 FGs
0-7 3PTs
2-2 FTs
1 TO (Barry charge)
2 ORs

With the 2 oboards, we ran offense 12 times against the zone. I'd say 7-8 were what I'd consider good possessions. 3 of them we got the ball to 3 sides before taking a shot, so the defense had to work. Wade took an early 3, but I don't mind him shooting any open shot. He also missed a short corner jumper and a point blank mid lane shot off a nice pass from Barry. Wainright had a nice baseline drive, got fouled, and made 2 FTs for our only points. patrick? chucked up a pair of 3s, though they were both open shots and the 3rd side. Brown had the transition charge, shot it after the ball only went to 1 side, and missed a long range 2 off the bounce after catching in the high post area off the flash. McGuirl missed a 3rd side three as well and Sneed missed a 1 pass 3 on our first possession against the zone. Clearly, this was awful production and as Bruce said we shot too many 3s. No way we should just be chucking it up there on 70% of those possessions and the results speak for themselves.

2nd half; the first 15 possessions against zone resulted in 15 points.
7-15 FGs
1-7 3PTs
0 FTs
3 TOs (Barry charge, Barry pass, Diarra pass)
3 ORs

We ran offense 17 possessions against zone during this stretch and I'd count 10 as solid offense. We did run more action to get the ball into the short corner or mid lane area to our bigs/Wade. Stockard made a nice short jumper and Mawien missed (badly). Wade made a lay up off a nice pass from Diarra on a baseline drive and a FT area jumper. Brown had a nice drive/finish when we screened one of the top defenders in the zone, but he also missed a long 2 (foot on the line) off the same screen action, shot a forced 3, and had a charge. Sneed hit a 3rd side 3 (the only 3 point make in 14 attempts against their zone) and also missed a really good look from 3 after Barry drove baseline and passed to the opposite corner. McGuirl made a lay up off of a weakside mid lane cut and missed a 3rd side 3. 1 possession started with Sneed's ill advised lay up when Diarra was wide open for the lob, but we got the OR.

The 2nd half offense of 1.0 points per possession actually outpaced our efficiency of 0.84 for the game, but it couldn't make up for the terrible offense at the end of the first half.

Overall in 25 zone offense possessions:
17 points
7-25 FGs
1-14 3s
6-11 2s
2-2 FTs
5 ORs
4 TOs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series